Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

unheated vestibules

Status
Not open for further replies.

wasteofadegree

Mechanical
Jan 13, 2018
US
what do you guys do for unheated vestibules? they never wrote anything in the code about it

I put a note on a recent drawing that says 'unheated vestibule, open to above, no storage', fingers crossed.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is written in the standard. NFPA 13 starts with the premise of ALL areas are to be protected. Then, there are exceptions given where sprinklers can be removed. If your area in question does not meet one of the allowed areas to omit sprinklers, then you must provide it.

For areas like you state, we often put a dry sidewall or something along those lines. You can't just not protect an area because you don't know how, or because it is difficult.

To paraphrase Johnny Cochran: "If the standard don't omit, you must protect it."

Travis Mack
MFP Design, LLC
"Follow" us at

hey thanks, it makes sense to sprinkler everything... that's a finer point that is easy to forget

this is how I solved it: (it was a weird vestibule too)

vestibule_lyi6xz.jpg

Wasteo:

That diagram of the dry pipe head for the vestibule appears to violate the 2013 NFPA 13, 8.11.4.1.1. The head does not appear to be within code limit from the high point. What this actually approved by the AHJ?

The first rule of reading/understanding NFPA - LOCATION HAS MEANING.

You don't want to look at ESFR obstruction criteria for standard spray sprinklers.

We once had an AHJ that try to mandate all dry systems had to be galvanized. I asked where that came from. He pointed to the section on CMSA sprinklers. Again, location has meaning.

Travis Mack
MFP Design, LLC
"Follow" us at

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back