Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unidentified Aluminium Nickel Bronze

Status
Not open for further replies.

GWFriend

Materials
Dec 11, 2005
GB
Hi,

I have been given a sample of what initially looked like a Aluminium Nickel bronze, chemical analysis revealed a composition I could not find a standard for and was wondering if anyone has heard of an alloy with a composition similar to this:

Cu 60
Ni 15
Al 12
Zn 9
Si 1.5
Fe 1.2

also traces of Cl, Mn, As, Ga, Sn, Se, Cr, Pb

The nickel content seemed a little high for most Aluminium Nickel bronzes.

The sample in question has failed in both an inter and transgranular brittle manner.

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated

Thanks

Gareth

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Where have you searched?
Never saw such a composition. Copper is low, and zinc & silicon are too high for an aluminum nickel bronze.
Is it wrought or cast material or p/m?

Tried Metals Reference Book, 3rd edn.
-- No wrought, cast or sintered p/m copper alloys near that comp.

Tried the 'Metal and Alloy Composition Search' at --- No luck, even with broad composition ranges.

Tried Smithells, 7th Edn.
--- No copper base alloy (Sections 22.2 & 26.4).

Where did you obtain this piece of metal?
Is it related to any process or use in your facility?
Have you looked at the microstructure?
Probably contains brittle (Fe,Ni)Al, brittle silicide and Zn-rich interdendritic brassy phaase. Without the zinc, it seems like an experimental high-temp. Cu-based alloy.

Always a chance of some new alloy of which I am unaware, but more likly that someone forgot to sort some scrap metal.

I must have searched every reference website/book I can lay my hands on, is still a mystery to me.

The actual sample is a casting, it is the base plate of a blow moulding die that has fractured, there is also secondary cracking throughout.

The sample was given to me by a friend who I have not been able to contact recently so I am not certian about who made it either.

I think I will try and get it on the SEM and have a closer look.

Considering that the part came off a operational production line somewhere common sense would seem to indicated that its not an experimental alloy, more than likeley as you said a case of dodgy manufacturing, thats something I will be looking at anyway.

cheers

Sounds like the foundry that cast it were using up all there scrap and sprues from previous jobs.

Ken

Did you analyze multiple areas from the casting to rule out segregation? If it is a large, thick-walled casting, then this may be a possibility.

Gareth,

Sorry to ask a seemingly stupid question, but have you checked your analysis against a known material? (Just to rule out procedural error).

Yeah I've analysed a few areas and ruled out segregation, its not that large a casting anyway.

Yeah I have also checked the analysis with some known materials including a standard CuAl11Fe6Ni6 aluminium bronze, to rule that out.

In all honesty I had a feeling it might have just been a manufacturing mistake but without knnowing where it had come from thought it best to check.

cheers guys

Just going on the elemental composition I found the following. No listing of the AL though. It's in spanish and might be close enough to what you have to lead you in a direction for it's use.
Code:
[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.euitt.upm.es/departamentos/ef/ficheros%20tecnotron/TECNG2.PDF[/URL]

[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.fag.edu.br/professores/jane/T%201316/siderurgia.pdf[/URL]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back