Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UNIFAC equations spelled out? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaSalle1940

Chemical
Feb 8, 2004
US
Does anyone know of a text/reference in which the equations--particularly the summations--involved in the UNIFAC method for estimating acitivity coefficients are spelled out clearly, preferably in conjunction with one or more good examples? The method is elucidated in the 3rd and 4th editions of "The Property of Gases and Liquids" but the nomenclature isn't entirely unambiguous, and the example is not especially clear. (An example of an organic/aqueous solution would be particularly useful!)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

Try the book by Stanley Walas, Phase Equilibria in Chemical Engineering (out of print on Amazon). In Chapter 4.16.5, he has discussed details of UNIFAC with a worked example for Ethanol/benzene. Procedure is same for any binary of interest!

Thanks

Breaking the complexity of the UNIFAC model was a challenge for my undergraduate thesis. To complicate things further, I actually used a model that combines UNIFAC with Peng-Robinson to predict liquid-liquid equilibrium.

The book I used was Chemical and Engineering Thermodynamics
by Stanley I. Sandler. I also checked the original text that described the UNIQUAC/UNIFAC model in order to understand the theory. I forgot the name of that text, but it is referenced in the above book and provided a good example.

A.Zeidan
Process, Thermodynamics and Simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back