Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unigrafhics performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnRBaker

Mechanical
Jun 1, 2006
US
Multi-core means more than 2, but over 4 is a waste as far as NX is concerned, but you might be running other applications at the same time, so...

BTW, it's spelled Unigraphics, but that's a name that we have not used officially in many years (9 to be exact).

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:
To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Starting with NX 7.5 there is now an option to start a toolpath generation which will be spawned to another processor and return the user to his NX session while the path is being computed so that he can do other tasks and then reconnect with the toolpath when it's completed, thus leveraging the power of multpile core processors.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:

@John Baker

If the OP is a designer I am guessing he is interested in multi-core for booleans and silhouettes rather than manufacturing processing.

At any rate...
I am currently using NX7.5 and I can specify up to 4 concurrent processes to crunch. I have not installed NX8 yet but in the beta I seem to remember it was 6 or 8; or perhaps it was just an article I read about a future planned capability. I honestly do not remember. Sometimes I wish I had a hex or octo core rig to crunch cam operations.

NX 7.5

I'm not aware of any change in the number of cores (or 'threads' as the software people describe it) to more than 4 but I could be mistaken.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back