Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unigraphics 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianTriant

Mechanical
Dec 21, 2015
US
I am new to unigraphics. I created several parts and an assembly from those parts and saved them in My Documents. Then I went into the folder and copied the files to a new folder as a backup. Now when I try to open the original files I get an error message "internal error" and the part and.\/or assembly won't open. How can I get back the parts and assembly that I worked so hard to create?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you're "new to unigraphics" why are you even calling it "unigraphics"? The product name is NX, which brings us to asking what version of NX are you running?

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

If the product name is NX then why do we still have UGALLIANCE, UGAUTOMOTIVE, UGII, UGOPEN etc [wink]

Ronald van den Broek
Senior Application Engineer
Winterthur Gas & Diesel Ltd
NX8.5.3 / TC9.1.2
HPZ420 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 0 @ 3.60GHz, 32 Gb Win7 64B
Nvidea Quadro4000 2048MB DDR5

HP Zbook15
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4800MQ
CPU @ 2.70 GHz Win7 64b
Nvidia K1100M 2048 MB DDR5

Those are merely the names of some of the folders created during the installation of NX and under normal circumstances, the average user will never even be aware that they exist, and over time these too will be updated. For example, in NX 10.0, there are 10 folders with the 'NX' prefix such as NXASSEMBLY, NXPLOT, NXSHIP, etc. But externally, there are virtually no longer any references to the name Unigraphics nor the nickname 'UG'. Granted, many of us old-timers may slip-up and unconsciously say 'Unigraphics' or 'UG', but it's from habit, not because we're still being bombarded with those monikers in print or while using the software.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The same is true on the PTC side. Lots still call it Pro/E even though it was Wildfire from 2002 until 2012 and now it is Creo.
And then you still have the references to back when it was Unigraphics UGII. I have to say I started with UGII version 3 which was a long time before NX3 was released.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

The use of UG and NX are most common in my experience. I do not hear references to Iman, when talking about Teamcenter though.

-Dave

NX 9, Teamcenter 10

Yes, it is ironic. For the first 20 years or so of my tenure with the software, first as a user and later as an employee of the company, we were always struggling to get the industry to recognize us as a major player in the CAD/CAE/CAM world. During that time we were always buried down inside some large organization which in turn was part an an even larger corporation, first as part of McDonnell Douglas and then EDS.

In 1998 we finally started to do business under the name 'Unigraphics Solutions' and when EDS took us public our stock symbol on the NYSE was 'UGS' and while many of us felt a certain amount of pride to think that our flagship product was finally getting the public recognition that it deserved, in retrospect, it was probably a short-sighted mistake naming the company after our primary product. I say this because years later, after we had acquired/merged with SDRC and the decision was made to combine Unigraphics and Ideas together into a new software offering that represented the best of both products, we were suddenly confronted with the reality that we had lost sight of exactly what the name Unigraphics represented, even to the extent that the public use of terms like 'UG' was confusing. And to add to this was the prospect that we, as an organization, having grown as the result of acquisitions and mergers, to the extent that continuing to use the name of the company as the name of but one of our products, albeit the largest in terms of revenue and impact on our overall business, was no longer practical or even appropriate (by then the DNA of several historically competitive products was finding it's way into what we were still calling Unigraphics).

So in 2001 we decided to make a clean break of it, renaming the organization 'PLM Solutions', reflecting the idea that there was much more to what it was that we were offering our customers than just a few CAX products but rather a full 'lifecycle' of technology, and then in 2002, to promote that idea that our efforts to combine the best of several different products was going to result in something that was greater than any of the older legacy names, we decided to relabel our flagship CAD/CAE/CAM system and so 'NX' was born, alluding to it being the 'NeXt' generation of technology.

As they say, the rest is history, and while that's true, we are now living with the knowledge that perhaps getting what you wish for is not always a good thing. In this case, our hopes and desire that the name 'Unigraphics' would get the due it deserved and what we wanted to see as MOMENTUM has now become something more akin to INERTIA. Oh well, I guess it could have been worse, we could have people saying: "Unigraphics, never heard of it."

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

Nutace, the reason the internals still have old names is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Changing the name of a simple directory in the install will require a full round of testing to verify that the name has been replaced absolutely everywhere in the code.
Do we want Siemens to spend the development money on modernizing the directory names or adding functionality ? :)

BrianTriant,
What you describe should be a fully legal action to perform. - Unless you run a very old version of NX( Unigraphics) and the directories ( for this old version of NX ) contains non ASCII characters or spaces.
Try copy the files to C:\temp\ and open them from there.
If this doesn't work, call GTAC.

Regards,
Tomas

And there's still a "...\UGII" folder included within the installation [smile]

In fact, as a company, we still make use of a networked "UGII" folder as the working area (outside of PLM) for each user,

NX 9.0.3.4
NX 10.0.3.5 (Testing)
Windows 7 64 (Windows 8.1 Tablet)

@BrianTriant -- I suggest you ask your question again, call it "copy assembly to new folder", or something like that, and don't mention "Unigraphics". That way, the tangential historical discussions might be reduced, and you stand a chance of getting a useful answer.

You can try to copy all your files into the same folder and set your assembly search options to "folder" then open your top level part file.

ug_gfclst.png

My system still calls them UG part files [2thumbsup], But my Cam Program refers to them as NX files and my mouse mode in Autoform is set to NX mode
Seems like the rest of the world is getting ahead on calling it NX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back