Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unit Conversion- I'm going mad

Status
Not open for further replies.

themaniac

Aerospace
Sep 8, 2003
AU
Hey people,

I think i'm driving myself mad here.

I'm struggling with the following conversion:

Original Units: BTU/[hr*ft^2*deg_F/ft]
Desired Units: W/[in*deg_C]

I've given it a go a couple of time and gotten very different results. So i figure i'm missing something.
Now i know this is likely to be a simple problem and that we all learnt unit conversion very early on so please go easy on me!!

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

themaniac:

What you need is a strong, FREE, dose of Uconeer. It's just the ticket for this ailment. Go to thread378-90884 and read Katmar's(a.k.a. Harvey Wilson) recommendation.

This free (well, not actually "free" - it's shareware) software will solve all your conversion nightmares.

Art Montemayor
Spring, TX

That "inch" term in the result is interesting, but this is really pretty easy.

Even though the temperature units are F & C, pretend they are R and K (which is valid since you're talking about incremental values). Then the conversion is:

(BTU/(hr*ft^2*F/ft))= [BTU/(hr*ft*R)]*(W/(3.4121 BTU/hr) * ft/(12 in) * R/(1.8 K) = original value / 73.70136

David

This does not have the exact conversion that you are looking for but does have some more unusual conversions

1 BTU/[hr*ft^2*deg_F/ft]= 1.7307 W/m.K
= 1.7307/39.37 W/in.K
= 1/22.7480 W/in.K

which is different to zdas04 - check the conversion for temperature (1K = 1.8R) dividing 73.7 by 1.8^2 gives 22.75

Tickle,
Sure glad you found where my constant was wrong, I'd have hated to stay up all night trying to find where I screwed up.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back