Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unit conversions

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxPlanck

Chemical
Jan 2, 2006
BE
Hi all,

Some questions, I hope someone can help me!

A: Is it possible to calculate a face velocity (units ACFM) out of the mass velocity (unit SFPM) and the density of the gas? Or what else do I need?

B: If I have a mass flux with units kg/s-m2, how can I convert it to SFPM? I received a spreadsheet and don't understand where the numbers come from.
For example:
MassVelocity (SI) = 4.5 kg/s-m2, next they convert it to MassVelocity (IP) = 738 SFPM (= 4.5 kg/s-m2 multiplied by 164.041995). Is this 164.041995 a constant?

C: This SFPM, SCFM and ACFM are they related to a certain cross-sectional area, for example 1 ft2?

Many thanks in advance.
Here in Europe we use different units (SI) and sometimes it drives me crazy.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Max, this is a real can of worms. The first problem you have to resolve is what are the Standard Conditions assumed for the SCFM. There are quite a few "standards" in common use.

You have not said what gas you are working with, but if I assume it is dry air I get close to the numbers you have given.

4,5kg/(s.m2) of air at 60 deg F and 14,7 psia (a fairly common "standard") has a density of about 1,22 kg/m3. Dividing 4,5 by this density gives you a flow of 3,69 m3/(s.m2) which is a velocity of 3,69 m/s. Dividing by 0,3048 to convert the metres to feet, and multiplying by 60 to convert the seconds to minutes gives a velocity of 726 feet per minute. Your answer was 738 SFPM.

Because I am faced with these calculations on a regular basis I created a calculator to do the mass/volume conversions. Although it is not exactly what you need here it will do 90% of it for you. It is a free download from Download "Uconeer" and once it is installed click the fan icon in the toolbar to bring up the calculator. Hope this helps.

Katmar Software
Engineering & Risk Analysis Software

"Standard air" in SI units, is defined as having a density of 1.2 kg/m[sup]3[/sup]. This density is the same for

dry air moist air

Pressure 101.325 kPa 101.325 kPa
Temperature 294.2K 293.2K
Humidity 0% 50%

Taken from Fan Engineering published by Buffalo Forge Company Buffalo, New York.

BTW, using katmar's procedure with this density you get the 738 SFPM figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back