Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Units (Time in hour)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mba0188

Mechanical
Feb 14, 2013
TN
Hello everyone,

I want to use the hour as unit of time because I'm running a model where a long thermal endurance cycle is applied in time, after that I will calculate the mechanical deformation resulted. I can't use the second in due to the large simulation time. Do you know in this case what must be the units of :
Thermal conductivity
Specific heat
Density
Young's modulus

Many thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

well correct me if I am wrong, but since all those quantities do not contain time in their units, I think you don't have to change the units at all !?

ok,sorry wrong...
e.g. if you have the young's modulus is kg m^-1 s^-2 = kg m^-1 (1/3600)^-2 hour^-2
i hope this is right... basically you substitute second by 1/3600 h ...

You don't convert Young's modulus (as this is force/area), only the thermal conductivity. As this is W/m K, say, and W are J/s then you want J/hr = J/3600s. Remember that you also need to change the units of the film coefficient too and any other units that have Watts in them. If you're using imperial units of Btus then I have no idea. Personally I just leave everything in seconds and simply divide the time by 3600 at the end of the analysis for presentation purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back