Unrealstic shear diagram in ETABS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yousef ZAA

Structural
Mar 26, 2017
US
Good day,
I have a problem justifying the shear diagram in one my shear walls; I have modeled my structure that consists of shear walls and since my slab qualifies to a rigid diaphragm, I have assigned rigid constraints to my shear walls joints. Of course the expected shear diagram of each shear wall is simply a step a diagram with the shear forces being increased from the roof downward, but one one of the shear walls has its shear on the 1st level less the second level, that gives the impression that there is a negative reaction or something!! I could not justify this shear distribution. This particular shear wall have openings at 1st level and I understand that considering the relative stiffness of this shear at the 1st level it won't attract that much of forces but still could not justify how would the base shear (shear at 1st level) be less than the shear the 2nd level! I have a torsional component on the shear walls but this would not justify!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

probably you have other sturcture modelled that overall is stiffer at that level than your shear wall and therefore your shear comes out your shear wall and is redirected through the diahpragm to this other structure. Maybe columns? can you post a screenshot of your model?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back