Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

unresolved assembly is not able to be derived, how do i resolve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamTheNewby

Mechanical
May 14, 2014
CA
I have an assembly. The assembly was transferred over to me by a co-worker who is on vacation. Is has about 50 or 60 fasteners in it that, I think were taken from the inventor fasteners library. I need to save or derive the assembly, so that I can send it to a purchaser who wants to insert it into an assembly, but in order to do that, I think I need the assembly to be resolved. Or at least, I am getting 2 error messages which are the following :

1. selected component contains file or segment references that could not be resolved.
(happens if I open the assembly, and then go -- representations > level of detail : master > new substitute > derive assembly )

2. The Base component for the derived feature could not be opened.
(happens if I open a new standard.ipt, then go -- manage > insert tab > derive)

I feel like both are happening as a result of the fact that inventor doesn't know where the fasteners are. Does anyone know how I can solve this? Do I have to go back into inventor fasteners library, find all the same fasteners, and insert them one by one, and delete all of the unresolved ones, until the assembly has no more unresolved components? Or is there an easier way?

Thanks very much

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'll assume those fasteners are from the "content center" as such if your project file in Inventor is set properly and assuming that content center is on a network location it should resolve it all properly.

Most likely though your co-worker has those standard content center files on his machine. If you go your application options and look at the files tab you will see the default directory for this. If you can access to his machine just grab them from there and in the future change your project files for everyone to point to the network instead or start using Vault.

If you cannot get them you will have to take a copy of that assembly and delete out the fasteners or resolve them from your CC in order to proceed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back