Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

uns C67000 manganese bronze

Status
Not open for further replies.

brin

Aerospace
Mar 12, 2000
CA
I'm looking for a source of UNS C6700 manganese bronze, 1.000 min dia rod, 1/2 Hard to ASTM B-138 specification. Can anyone suggest possible sources/leads? I'm posting here because this is suddenly an urgent problem.

This is a high strength bronze alloy, and so far I haven't found a manufacturer in North America or anyone with stock. The application is an aircraft bearing in trim control system.

My other options are:

-one supplier has a small piece that may help, but no certification documents. I can test for chemical components, but not tensile strength. I know that hardness testing will not be accurate, but is there a hardness value that I can use as conservative (eg: lower limit)? Does anyone have acceptance (hardness) test values for bronze alloys?

-Although this would be involved, we could specify a more readily available material to use as alternate for this part. However, I have yet to find a bronze alloy with comparable mechanical properties (Ftu = 105 Ksi, Fty = 60 Ksi). Any recommendations that I could investigate?

Thanks,

Brian

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Brian:
Have you looked at C86300 manganese bronze (AMPCO 66) per AMS 4862? It has a min tensile strength of 110 ksi and a min yield of 60 ksi.
Ampco Metal, fax 414-645-3225

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back