Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unusual Corrosion Paint Spec 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doodler3D

Mechanical
Jan 20, 2020
US
All,

Would an silicone alkyd resin topcoat work with an epoxy polyamide base? I've seen either epoxy or alkyd systems but not both of them together. The spec is for an ISO 12944-C5X @ 200[sup]o[/sup]C

COAT 1: ORGANIC ZINC PRIMER
COAT 2: POLYAMIDE/NOVOLAC EPOXY
COAT 3: SILICONE ALKYD RESIN

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would recommend allowing full cure of the epoxy and then mechanical prep prior to applying an alkyd base. I expect you will find this option unreasonable for anything but spot repair.

I have seen some rated for that hot, but you read the fine print and see that the life is shorter.
Yes, 200C is really pushing things.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Thank you all,

We got the customer to change specs, as the ISO 12944 technically does not cover high temp service. Instead, they settled with a hi-temp silicone. I am not sure how they came up with the requirement in the first place. However, I got conflicting views from AkzoNobel-PPG and SW/Carboline. AkzoNobel-PPG were skeptical whereas the latter approved a combination of zinc-epoxy-alkyd resin.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back