Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Up to date books/resources on earthworks and heavy equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

octagie

Civil/Environmental
Feb 20, 2019
CL
Hi all,

What's a good, updated book/resource/supplier-website to learn about earthworks and heavy equipment?
I'm exploring questions like how to select machinery, improve efficiency on loading material and moving it around, new technologies to do things faster, surveying tips, etc. A resource hopefully leaned towards the professional practice.

Thanks and regards.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"how to select machinery"

The contractor will bring there fleet of excavators and trucks. They will rent any non standard compaction or ground improvement equipment. Specialty contractors would be the best to reach out for more information.

"improve efficiency on loading material and moving it around, new technologies to do things faster,"

Get competitive bids and pay the contractor on a unit rate basis and not allow any time and materials items. I seen a contractor make excellent progress in phase 1 of a job which was paid on units completed. Phase 2 was time and materials, production was approximately 40% of the previous phase.

"surveying tips"

Make the contractor provide you the survey to determine quantities for payment purposes. If you cant make heads or tales of the survey they wont get paid. I find d you actually get a decent survey if you are required to confirm payment quantities for the contractor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back