Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Update hole wizard dimensions on drawings after move face operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

MN5520

Industrial
Jan 30, 2005
US
We are having problems with drawing dimensions created using hole wizard not updating after applying a move face operation to the part.

Example:
I have a solid round object, say 2" in Dia., 2" long. I have a counter bored hole (made with hole wizard) that goes through this object from one face to another with a chamfer on the hole. This hole can be on center or offset from center. I create my finish part drawing and dimension it using the "Hole Callout" feature. Now I want to create a lathe operation configuration so I add grind stock to both faces of the part, which will increase the chamfer proportionally to the amount of grind stock added? When I create the lathe operation drawing, the callout for the hole does not update for the added face material, it still has the same callout as the finish drawing.

We do this because we have finished prints and production prints for various steps in the process such as a lathe operation, mill operation, etc due to hardening processes and the need for finish grinding after hardening.

Any ideas how to get the dimensioning to update? Macro or API maybe?

Brian
SW2006 sp3.4

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I read your thread several times. I'm still not clear what you want to do. Can you please show a pic of your part and/or dwg?

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
SolidWorks 06 4.1/PDMWorks 06
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 06-21-05)

The hole callout is derived from the Hole Wizard information you apply to the hole, not what you do to the hole after it is created.

Create two configs;
Each config to have separate holes showing the details required for that stage of the process.

One config to show the pre-hardened & ground condition. i.e. with the hole & extra deep chamfer. Finished hole suppressed.

Another config to show finished condition. Extra deep chamfer hole supressed.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites FAQ559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions FAQ559-1091

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back