Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

upgrade to SW office 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

phathag

Electrical
Feb 27, 2005
AU
Hi, I installed SW 2005 a few weeks ago. I have updated to SP1.1

I just realised we actually own SW2005 with office and want to install that also.

-Can I just go and install over the top of the previous install to get office working?
-Or do I need to uninstall and re-install the complete package?
-Or something else ? (main concern is that the discs are SP0 and am currently running SP1.1 SW)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but SW Office is no longer offered...you either have SW or SW Office Professional, I think.

Garland

Garland E. Borowski, PE

I would contact your dealer immediately. You may be able to get a free upgrade to Office Professional (includes PDMWorks) for a limited time.

really? well when i installed i only installed just SW. then i was told we had sw office. so i tried both it and professional but when i went to install it, it says i only have a sw office licence (not professional) please expain?

anyway all i really need to know just now is: should i install office (or office pro) just over the top; OR do i need to uninstall the original solidworks first?

Actually I'm surprised you have had it working past the 30 trial, because your Serial that is used is for the bundle that you bought. So if you picked just SW and not SW office, then it shouldn't have accepted the serial number or Reg code and put you into a 30-day trial.

So you better check with your VAR to insure that is what you have and you will probably have to do a clean install to get working correctly with the change in Bundles.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
3DVision Technologies

faq731-376
faq559-716 - SW Fora Users

ok well its not a trial (AFAIK)
i *thought* it was just SW we purchased so i installed that. now i wanted to use edrawing pro. and was told i should have installed sw with office; as that is what they bought...

so your saying i HAVE to uninstall and re-install?

and whats this about professional office. i don't think it allows me to install that with our registration.

I may be speaking out of turn here sorry, because I am in Australia.

Our Reseller here is offering a free upgrade from SW Office to SW Office Professional before April 15. (because they are discontinuing the SolidWorks Office product).

When you insert your CD#1, you have 3 options: modify de installation; repair de installation; uninstall. You should choose modify option to install the missing options.

But... as your installation is SP1.1 and your CD is probably SP0.0, I think you should rollback your installation to SP0.0 before modifying the installation.

Whell... it will probably mess your SW. So just do a clean install.

Regards

Yeah i think you are right; if I have to "rollback" it will get messy... i gotta uninstall :(

thank-you all for your input.

David.

If you own Office but install as just SolidWorks, it will work as a purchaced version of SolidWorks - not an eval copy.

The only difference is the Reg. code. You may need to re-register your serial numbers to get the new reg. codes to run Office.

Right. I have a client who has Office, but only had SW installed. I brought along my CDs and was able to install PhotoWorks without messing things up from MY discs! I was surprised that worked (this client couldn't find their original discs). It didn't ask for a registration code or serial number, so it was clear that whoever installed SW deliberately dodged the PhotoWorks install at the time.

It all works fine now, even though PhotoWorks came from my CDs. (Weird--I didn't expect it to work so easily.)

Don't bother trying that if your serial number doesn't cover PhotoWorks and other Office products--it won't work and it's wrong to do.

Jeff Mowry
Reality is no respecter of good intentions.

We do not use PDMWorks so we are not upgrading our Office seats to OfficePro. Our var told use that we would pay the same subscription price but if we upgrade to Pro, it would be $200 more. Something to keep in mind if you are not using PDMWorks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back