Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade vs. Uninstall and Reinstall for 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolidsMaster

Mechanical
Feb 10, 2005
US
So from 2005 to 2006 they recommended uninstalling SW and installing 06 new. It seems the same for 07? Has anyone had any problems just upgrading? What's everyone seeing? I had some toolbox issues when I did the uninstall/reinstall from 05 to 06.

I will be needing to upgrade soon, as the company finally purchased a 2nd seat...but bought a network licence for just the new seat...complete with USB dongle....I warned them!! But when I install that copy, I need to upgrade my standalone and PDMworks.

J

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is usually recommended NOT to upgrade. However I have had 2 versions of SW at a time on my machine. Install SW07 and it should automatically find your toolbox location as well as your templates and other SW related files (properties file, sheet metal gauges, etc.). You can uninstall the previous version afterwards.

SW06 SP5.0

Flores

faq559-488
See last sentence.
New install 07, then uninstall 06.
Nothing wrong with using a network license with USB dongle.
I have used it for several years, no problems.

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
SolidWorks 06 4.1/PDMWorks 06
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 06-21-06)

smcadman,

If the install for SW07 finds the toolbox, doesn't it upgrade the toolbox, potentially making it incompatable with 2006?

Eric

From
You will need to make the following decisions before starting the upgrade or update process:

* Whether to uninstall and then re-install. For new versions of SolidWorks while the old version can be updated, a better practice is to uninstall, clean-up after the install, and then re-apply and configure SolidWorks. For service packs, there is no need to go to this extent. Just update the release to the current service pack.
* New installation or update?
* Multiple versions of SolidWorks can be run at the same time on one computer. Unless the old version is needed, it is best to only have the current version on the computer.
* Create names for the SolidWorks installation directories that are based on the version and service pack for SolidWorks. For example, SolidWorks 2005 SP1.0 would have an installation directory name of SolidWorks2005 for each version. To run multiple service packs on the same machine, create installation directories with the service pack appended to the directory name, like SolidWorks2005-1-0.
* Set a common files location based on version and also decide whether to share the data with others on a network drive. The SolidWorks Toolbox and Hole Wizard database is by default stored in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\SolidWorks Data directory. To run multiple versions on the same computer, make sure this directory has been named to the desired version of SolidWorks (i.e., SolidWorks Data04). To update this directory, copy the data to the new version (i.e., SolidWorks Data05) and point to the directory during the update. SolidWorks will update the database during the update.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites faq559-520​
How to find answers ... faq559-1091​
SW2006-SP5 Basic ... No PDM​

I'm running 2006 and 2007 on the same machine. But my installs were "SolidWorks2006" and "SolidWorks Data2006" for the 2006 installation, with similar names for the 2007 installation.

Works fine, but I use Toolbox only to generate my geometry--all hardware, etc. gets saved to a local directory so I can move it from my machine to a client machine with no headache.

I also don't have to worry about accessing files over a network or sharing files at the same time with anyone else. So my case is somewhat simple.

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe trumps reason.

"If the install for SW07 finds the toolbox, doesn't it upgrade the toolbox, potentially making it incompatable with 2006?"

I'm still using toolbox in SW06 without any issues even though SW07 is installed. I can drag and drop parts into assemblies without any issues. It probably would be a problem if you opened the original toolbox part in SW07 and saved it, and tried to put that in a SW06 assembly.

SW06 SP5.0

Flores

I have SW05, SW06 and SW07 on this machine.

As for my Toolbox I always install a new one, because i have to have each of mine separate. As a custoemr you can do the same, just rename each of hte install folders, Toolbox07 or Solidworks07 is how I do it. Then if you need your files in your TB from SW06 just copy the data from one to the other.

Just don't change out the *.mdb file, then you will get an error wrong file expected.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back