Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Uploading hex file to Intel EE87C196KB16 mcu

Status
Not open for further replies.

h0wkeye

Electrical
May 9, 2013
US
Hi All -

Wondering if anyone has experience with this mcu or programmer ( BrianG ?) -

I have a legacy project that needs a hex file uploaded to a replacement intel mcu. I am using a Dataman 48Pro2 programmer. I can download the code from the original (EN87C196KB16) mcu and upload the code to a new (EE87C196KB16) replacement mcu but the chip does not function at all during tests. I am comparing the original hex file supplied to the downloaded and they are very similar, so the device doesn't seem to be code protected. I have also tried uploading the original hex file to the replacement with no luck. Maybe it seems like the code isn't being uploaded into the currect address location?

Looking for any tips or resources that may help. Thanks!

Resources I have been using -

Replacement mcu - EE87C196KB16 - MCU 16-bit MCS96 CISC 8KB EPROM 5V 68-Pin PLCC:

Dataman 48Pro2 programmer:

8XC196 user manual:

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your datasheet states that the 87C196 is OTP

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

" and they are very similar"

Very similar is not the same as identical. Are they supposed to be identical?

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

I see your point. Yes, I would think that they sould be identical. They are identical (equivalent in length and values) at some point in the code. The only difference is that the downloaded code (from the original chip) has blank code space (FF) before and after the identical code (compared to the customer provided hex).

So, what's in the blank space in the new file?

At this point, you should probably try to contact an Intel applications engineer.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Sorry, typo - "The original starts at :10208000FA and ends at :00000001FF" - To clarify, that's where the actual code resides on the original customer provided hex file with no blank space observed.

You cannot move code in memory and still expect it to work... in fact, if it works at all it's a bleedin' miracle. Embedded systems are very particular about where in memory code resides.

Rereading your post, however, has me wondering what you're comparing. If you're recompiling source code, the resultant hex file may very well have 0xFF in memory locations leading up to where the code actually starts if your assembler's output file is not sanitized... it won't hurt anything, but the output file can grow extremely large on large memory model systems. (Ever seen a 2GB COFF file? It ain't pretty trying to load that through a 38k serial line.)

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

I don't think he's trying to do anything more than to program a newer version of chip with the code for the older version of the chip. Theoretically, it should work. But, the differences in the hex code is troubling, and he hasn't really made it clear what the complete set of differences were.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

The interpretation of the data can be found in Intel hex format. Dataman normally just generates data and end of file. It does not do the extended stuff.

From your data record :10208000FA

10 is the record length
2080 is the load address
00 is the record type i.e. data
FA is the checksum

Is 2080 your load address? Note that there is no data on that line. Most of these files start with bigger records with at least some data in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back