Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upper Case Lettering on Calculations 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

runner44

Civil/Environmental
Feb 23, 2012
US
I've been noticing a lot of engineers using lower case lettering for their calculation sheets. I never saw this before when working for pivate engineering firms, but now that i work for the government it seems rather common with gov employees. Is this common? Any comments? I personally don't like the look of it, but that is not to say the calculations are in any way inferior.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Legibility is what matters. I am an upper case guy, but that is just because I had to do a lot of lettering when I started, and the company did it that way. Style on drawings was a concern in those days, but not anymore.

Almost all of the calculations I have done in 32 years working and before that in school have been done using lower case lettering. I would guess it has been 100% lower case for the last 20+ years. Except for one summer interning at Caltrans, all of my experience has been on the private side.

I have two problems with all upper case lettering: it's harder to read and it can be ambiguous once in a while. I would also prefer to use lower case lettering on drawings, but most people prefer all upper case lettering. I think this goes back to hand lettering and LEROY lettering, where using only half the available characters materially improved efficiency. I think the gain now is getting close to zero.

==========
"Is it the only lesson of history that mankind is unteachable?"
--Winston S. Churchill

fel3...I think you're right about the origins. I was taught in drafting classes to use both upper and lower case. We were required to use all upper case in some instances and lower case in others. One thing I noticed with doing Leroy lettering is that it was better if you dropped a pen size when using lower case to cut down on ink blobs, and you had the longer pull to get to the lower case on the template plus you had to clean the pens more often...less efficient.

Just my opinion, but to make my calculations more readable, I use upper and lower case, just like writing a letter. First word of a sentence is capitalized, proper names, etc. I always try to write a narrative and to make it easier to understand, I write sentences. All upper case makes it harder to follow.

@MiketheEngineer: Doesn't "M" mean Mega?? - Guess its an SI vs English thing . . .

All drawings our company ever did was in upper case; my dad taught mechanical drafting and it was always upper case, too.

I don't know how you guys can get by using only upper or lower case variables, don't you run out? :)

In hydrology, big Q and little q mean different, related things. (runoff in inches, flow rate in cfs) I've never in my life seen someone use a big N for Manning's roughness, I've never seen a lowercase P for rainfall, and I've seen both big and little Ts for time of concentration.

In my opinion, engineering is too complicated a game to go switching things back and forth just because your caps lock is on. Find out what the industry standard is and use that.

Hydrology, Drainage Analysis, Flood Studies, and Complex Stormwater Litigation for Atlanta and the South East -

Mike... I haven't grown up yet... but:
M moment
Mf factored moment
q Klf
Q total q
P point load, and Pf...
" inches
' feet
'K foot kips
'lb foot pounds
usually... and anything a word or so longer in written script... and I waste lots of paper...

Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back