UPS:i want to replace my battery with bigger energy one

Status
Not open for further replies.

HanyHamed

Electrical
Jul 20, 2005
AE
hello all
i need to install a new battery for my UPS system. what is the things that i should be aware befor purchasing the new battery for the same UPS electronics.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1) That most low end home UPSs do not take kindly to being faced with larger batteries having lower impedance to charge.

2) That once you go to a larger battery that doesn't fit in the same enclosure then you have lost all of the fire protection and acid containment protect afforded by the original unit.

As you might guess, I advise against it. Especially if you have children around.

That said, I would only go one battery size larger and hope the UPS survives it.

You must utterly protect the terminals a short between them can be devastating. White hot wires,ruptured battery etc.

You have to know your UPS design/limits.. Home/consumer level UPSs do not lend themselves to what you want to do..

In addition to caveats mentioned above, some low end UPS use only a small slab of aluminum (and with no air flow) to sink heat from the main inverter power transistors. This is adequate only for its intended limited time.

Irrespective of how much power is left in the battery, the UPS microprocessor then shuts the unit off after a given amount of run time.. Typically these systems were designed to run only long enough to allow an orderly shut down of the attached computer system. Also in some of these, the inverter circuit floats the battery up to around 50 volts above ground.

Now if you have a commercial UPS system designed for additional/external battery packs, it a different ball game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back