Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UPS ROOM AND TRANSFORMER ROOM 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ensure that you supply the ventilation / cooling system from the generator-backed supply to the UPS, and make sure they automatically re-start after power interruption. It is painful to see the number of UPS installations which overheat and drop the load simply because the room cooling fails.

you can use 10 ACPH for the UPS room and 5 CFM/kVA of transformer for the transformer room. This is a rule of thumb, you must check with the design engineer for a more accurate answer.

i have a situation where the ups room have transformer. the design using 2 AC (running and back up) to compensate the heat produced by the ups and an exhaust fan added to remove the heat produced by the transformer. my question will be can this design be effective for safe keeping of the equipment?

example:
ups-60KVA (as per catalog it produces 12283.2 btu/hr, so the room needs more than 1TR for cooling, i used wall type AC)
transformer-75KVA (from my calculation at least 400 cfm is need to remove the heat produce by transformer, the exhaust grilles is placed right above the transformer)

thanks

First of all, it is preferred to keep a positive pressure in the ups. How is air supplied to the room?
You need to account for humidification/dehumidification needs.
If your supply is too cold, it might lead to electrostatic discharge. Be careful when setting the supply temperature.
According to the data you gave us, you also need to increase the cooling load to cover the UPS and the transformer.

For UPS rooms I see two issues:
1) Maintaining suitable room conditions for UPS batteries. In Australia its common for split type DX systems to serve these room. Allowance for 5% of the full battery load is a common conservative figure for preliminary sizing. Batteries are often rated for certain temperatures, in cooler climates its a common oversight to provide cooling only type systems and ignore the fact that batteries take longer to charge when in cold environments.
2) Ventilation of UPS batteries - Many UPS batteries are sealed lead acid types. There are ventilation standards which require minimum ventilation for these types of rooms. Refer to local standards for guidance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back