Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Uretek Floor Lifting and Deep Injection Technology 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisMcLean

Geotechnical
Nov 27, 2003
GB
Has anyone come across this company before? They use an injected polyurethan foam to remedy foundation settelement issues and lift subsiding structures.

We are considering trying them out for remedial works rather than removal and replacement of exisitng problem structures.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You'd better be damn sure that you understand the problem before you start pumping "pooky" (ahem, a very scientific term) under the slab. Water cured polyurethane foam is a great material for some problems, yet it's a nightmare for others...

[pacman]

Please see FAQ731-376 for great suggestions on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Luckily, all we will do is arrange for some SI (boreholes, PI and PSD) to be done and they will advise us if anything needs to be done - their liability!

Hmmm,

Read their guarantee again - carefully. And check to see where the financial backing for their guarantee comes from. You may change your tune on the liability issue...

[pacman]

Please see FAQ731-376 for great suggestions on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

I have used Uretek years ago to level a badly settled apron in front of a hangar at a Navy base. It worked fine. I would use them again since I have not heard of any problems. The best thing you can do is call their technical reps and let them talk you through what they do. Pressure grouting has used for years to achieve same thing.

Good luck

Focht3, you appear to be cynical about guarantees etc.! Luckily, it won't be my decision and I find legal matters are best left to our company solicitors. I will however look aat their guarantee closely, as you suggest, but we are only looking to use them for remedial works so the exposures will be small in any case.

We have a lot of expansive clay problems in my area; I have seen a lot of repair companies come and go - with many property owners hurt in the process. Unfortunately, my cynicism is born of experience.

I do not intend to disparage any company or product, only to urge you to use caution - and prepare all your correspondence very carefully. Look at the documents from the point of view of an unhappy former customer's solicitors...

[pacman]

Yes, I know what you mean about companies disapperaing into the mist just when you need them most. Hopefully we will continue to develop the foundation design side of our business and as a result will experience less and less need for remedial works.

This year we were caught by a three month hot, dry spell (unusual for the UK where rain is a state of mind as much as weather) and a lot of old jobs subsided - nothing since I have been running the system (damned lucky for me obviously). Hopefully, need to use Uretek and similar will decrease to a minimal amount (no-one's perfect!) but for the time being I just wanted to know if anyone had heard of them and used them before we give them a go.

Still, Lutfi could be a rep from Uretek for all I know lol though I don't think so.

No, I don't think so. I've read his other posts; this was the first mention of Uretek that I recall. My impression is that he's too professional to fall into that trap -

[pacman]

Hello,
I have never used Uretek products or service, and I never will. The product or the application is protected under law, and you need to be licensed installer.
Uretek is currently being specified by two or three state DOT's for pavement undersealing. (Could be more) It may function as well or better than convention grouts for this type of work. But again, I have a problem with a single source spec.
In terms of the deep injection for lifting structures, I don't see how this approach could compete with convention grouts, such as compaction grout, or fluid c/b grouts commonly used in compensation grouting. But keep in mind, chemical grouting using polyurethanes are commonly used for permeation grouting of sands. So could be a good application under the right conditions.
Sorry, can't comment on the permanence of this type of polyurethane.

Focht3 - Absolutely, I went and read some of this users other posts as well to make sure. And no offense was meant either, Lutfi, so I hope none was taken!

Just be wary if you see me post on conservatories as there I do have a vested interest haha

I hope you haven't been "confined" to one! [wink]

[pacman]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back