Urgent - Ansys - Distorted Element - 3D - Remesh / Rezoning

Status
Not open for further replies.

dthanoon

Mechanical
Mar 2, 2010
FR
Hello.
I am modeling 3D breast deformation (for breast cancer) with Ansys.
I am expecting very large displacement. Therefore when my computation launch, at some point it stops due to highly distorted elements.

I heard about rezoning capabilities in Ansys, however from my understanding it is only for 2D.
1) Am I correct?

I was expecting Ansys to give the opportunity to enable the following feature in 3D:
a. Stop the analysis sometime before the mesh gets bad.
b. Generate a new mesh on the deformed shape.
c. Map the results from the old mesh to the new mesh.
d. Proceed with the analysis.

2) Is this possible in Ansys, can someone give me more light on how to do this?

The thing is that I started using Ansys not even 2 weeks ago and I really don't master yet the tool and my boss pressure me to get this model work as soon as possible.

Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Looking at chapter 6 of the ANSYS Advanced Analysis Techniques Guide it appears that rezoning is only supported for 2-D problems.

I know!
Well there is no way to do it in 3D? without using they rezoning feature?

I can't believe that nobody faced this problem in 3D?
Any help!

I believe this is only possible with LS-DYNA. This problem is fairly typical for structural problems with excessively large distortion. You can try ramping the load very slowly, multiple sub steps, and ensuring you have a suitably fine mesh.

You could try using a finer mesh or reduced integration elements. The later may be especially helpful though accuracy may suffer when severe distortions exist. Otherwise, use a more appropriate tool such as DYNA like rubadee mentioned.

Well, I don't have LS-DYNA and my modeling should be fairly simple.
Like if I apply half the body force load the computation will go on perfectly.
Do you guys have an Idea if I can for instance Apply first 0.5*gravity as a first load, remesh, map all values as initial condition into the new geometry/mesh and launch another computation with the full gravity value?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back