Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

urgent need stair lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbaker

Electrical
Feb 14, 2003
US
Existing fixtures in stairwells are recessed 7" can lights, only 1 per landing, none on intermediate landings. On intermediate landings side of stairwell there is a lightshaft, open to glass skylight above. Far wall of light shaft has 3 wall mounted downlights. All currently lamped with 150W incandescents.

Originally designed for daytime use only, now required for night egress, 15-20 fc, by building inspector. Current fc readings at floor level at night is ~3 fc. I have 3 working days to remedy!!!! (I am a consultant, working with owners and general contractor on remodel project).

There is plenty of ampacity on existing circuits. Is there any medium based lamp I can put in with sufficient lumen output to fix light levels? I know there are too many variables....

Thanx for any help! ~Jim

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My apologies, I just discovered this group. Change the 7" can to a Compact Fluorescent Pot. And, as for the sky lights what is commonly done is aimable heads are mounted on the inside of the cove or recessed fluorescents are mounted inside of the cove on the side closest to the stairway.

Ray Micallef, P. Eng.
Power Generation/Utility Industry

I really do not understand the light shaft you described. However, if possible install wall mounted lights at each level, including intermediate levels. If you wall mount a light at each landing at aboue 6.5' to 7' above each landing it will efficiently light the egress path with less directing it at the egress path. Of course you will have to surface mount raceways to feed the fixtures. Use some sort of wraparound fluorescent fixture. They are readily available and very efficient. One fixture I use a lot in stairwells is the PMC ESQ90. A more sophisticated wraparound type fixture that has a lens desgined to direct light on the egress path.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back