Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

US airlines bow to Chinese pressure on Taiwan 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rb1957

Aerospace
Apr 15, 2005
CA
From Flight ... This is astonishing !

US airlines removing reference to Taiwan to "abide by the rules in countries where we operate" ... because China requested them to ... "China sent a letter to 36 airlines, including US carriers, in April requesting changes to how they reference Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan." Even the White House understood what this meant "This is Orwellian nonsense and part of a growing trend by the Chinese Communist Party to impose its political views on American citizens and private companies."

I haven't seen the letter (sent in April) ... WP had a copy in Chinese script, but this is an excerpt from their site ...
If United doesn't stop listing Taiwan as a country, leaving Taiwan off maps of China and listing Taiwan under Chinese destinations, The Washington Post translated a number of punishments including the involvement of law enforcement, administrative penalties, and invoking "credit management trial measures" which appears to be a credit score for aviation companies.
Btw, many other airlines have complied with China's "request" according to WP, and WP listed no airlines that had ignored this "request".

I think we've just felt more than the thin end of the wedge ! maybe more than "just the tip" ?

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

yeah, according to WP QANTAS corrected an "error" on their site.

Technically, China is simply asking the airlines to comply with US policy, stated on the US State Dept website, which has been in effect since 1979

[URL unfurl="true" said:
https://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/35855.htm[/URL]]U.S.-TAIWAN RELATIONS

The United States and Taiwan enjoy a robust unofficial relationship. The 1979 U.S.-P.R.C. Joint Communique switched diplomatic recognition from Taipei to Beijing. In the Joint Communique, the United States recognized the Government of the People's Republic of China as the sole legal government of China, acknowledging the Chinese position that there is but one China and Taiwan is part of China. The Joint Communique also stated that the people of the United States will maintain cultural, commercial, and other unofficial relations with the people of Taiwan. The American Institute in Taiwan (AIT) is responsible for implementing U.S. policy toward Taiwan.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

ok, that's a different spin on it ... surprised airlines didn't use this to explain their actions rather than (on the face of it) a Chinese "request".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back