Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

US PE to Canadian version of PE

Status
Not open for further replies.

toro45

Electrical
Dec 16, 2003
US
I might have to move to Canada and I am wondering if anyone knows if I will have to take an exam if I am a PE in the US and I want to get the Canadian equivalent. I am an electrical engineer.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The quick answer is YES- and the type of tests depends on which Province you will be moving into. Each Provincial Engineering Association has it's own little spins on what is required. There is presently no reciprocity with the US PE system so you will likely be treated as a non-accredited engineer and have to do some form of testing. Inquire with the Provincial Association you will be working in and they can give you more specifics.

Check this page relating to NAFTA comity between US, Mexico, and Canada:

In particular, note the powerpoint from Canada.

I don't know if this is up to date, and don't know if it actually saves much work, but it looks like Canadian and Mexican registered engineers can become registered in Texas without having to take the fundamentals and principals & practice tests.

I haven't been through this process, had just run across the page a while back.

J,

I believe Texas' comity with Canada ended already - severl threads in Eng-Tips have dealt with this. Don't know about Mexico.

t,

I also believe that G is correct - US PE to CDA PE is via exams. You do get credit for the work related experience portion (ie. once you pass the tests, you get the PE).

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back