Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

US Standards for Stairs, Walkways and Handrails 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ussuri

Civil/Environmental
May 7, 2004
GB
I am looking for some pointers to the correct US standards for the design of stairs, access platforms, walkways and handrails.

I have had a look at the OSHA website but I'm finding it difficult to sort through the information, and I'm not even sure I'm in the correct place.

I'm based in the UK but looking at a project where we will be designing and installing access platforms on a vessel. The vessel is classed through Lloyds and the ship rules state that requirements are to an appropriate standard recognised by Lloyds (Part 3, Chapter 8, Section 5, Bulwarks, guard rails and other means for the protection of crew). The vessel is US registered and operates in US waters. So I thought US standards seemed appropriate.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The requirements for egress (where stairs, handrail, etc. are specified) are in IBC (International Building Code), whatever edition is in effect, Chapter 10. Loading is in Chapter 16.
But vessels are a whole different ball game. They might have their own requirements, or apply IBC.

Depending on the use, handrails and guardrails may have different loading requirements. They do in Canada. There is a change to the new Canadian code; it now allows inward loads on guards to be 1/2 the outward load.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Check out AISC design guide 34 for stairs and handrails.

Screenshot_2024-01-11_105250_matixi.png

I would say that the use of the IBC or OSHA for a ship at sea would not be appropriate. I spent a significant amount of time between the ages of 18 and 24 on ships (one of them brand new), and I can tell you that the ladders/stairs did not meet anything that resembled the IBC. OSHA...maybe...but certainly not the IBC. Some quick googling brought this up, though:

Link

Looks to be federal code for various kinds of ships. Drill down to the means of escape in the appropriate section and it should give you some basic rules to follow. Can't vouch for these being what you really need - I'm not a Naval Architect.

Thanks phamENG

This is included in one of the references:

§ 127.310 Where rails required.
(a) Each vessel must have permanently installed efficient guard rails or bulwarks on decks and bridges. Each rail or bulwark must stand at least 1 meter (39 1/2 inches) from the deck except that, where this height would interfere with the normal operation of the vessel, the cognizant OCMI may approve a lesser height.

(b) At exposed peripheries of the freeboard and superstructure decks, each rail must consist of at least three courses, including the top. The opening below the lowest course must be no more than 230 millimeters (9 inches) with courses no more than 380 millimeters (15 inches) apart. On other decks and bridges each rail must consist of at least two courses, including the top, approximately evenly spaced.

(c) If satisfied that the installation of any rail of the required height would be impracticable, the cognizant OCMI may accept hand grabs or a rail of a lesser height in its place.

The Lloyds ship rules also specify dimensional requirements, just like this. No mention of loads though. They just state that the section sizes for stanchions and rails are from any normal appropriate recognised standard.

I also tried OSHA 1910 and it seems similar.

Perhaps that is all there is to it.

If the stair is part of the means of egress system, refer to chapter 10 of your state's building code for dimensional requirements and chapter 16 for load requirements. Also check ASCE 7-10 for load requirements, they might differ from the building code depending where you're at.

If it's not part of the means of egress (e.g. equipment platforms), refer to OSHA 1910.25 ( Load requirements from the bldg code and ASCE 7-10 still apply.

If it's residential, refer to your state's residential code.

OSHA 1910.66(f)(5)(i)(G) has the loading for guardrails for suspended unit platforms. This gives 100lbs at the top rail.

When I was designing a work platform several years ago, I used OSHA 1926.502(b). This uses 200lbs at the top rail.

These loads are fine for someone leaning or standing on the rail, but the ocean will hammer the rail with more force.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back