Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

USB to PS/2 converter with splitter function

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdwardDawson

Electrical
Mar 23, 2009
I have device that has a keyboard and mouse attached to it. It sends out the mouse and keyboard data through one of its USB connectors which can be plugged into any PC USB port.

The PC in question however does not have a USB port but has two PS/2 ports, one for mouse and the other for keyboard (it's an industrial 19" rack mount unit). Is there any intelligent converter to buy, that can accept a shared USB mouse/keyboard input and split the the relevant data out into separate PS/2 ports?

Thanks for any help,

Ed.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Maybe, but there's no guarantee, since you'd need a PS/2 to serial, and a serial to USB conversion. It might be easier to simply add a USB card to your computer.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Plenty of PS/2 keyboard and mouse to a single USB connectors out there... I wonder if a handful of male-to-female connectors would complete the puzzle...

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

I would need a PS/2 keyboard and mouse to a single USB in reverse! My little device that outputs keyboard and mouse data from its USB connector is actually a DTX5000-R receiver from BlackBox that receives keystrokes and mouse movements from a remote location.

So all the mouse and keyboard data arrives at the DTX5000-R receiver via Ethernet, then the receiver sends the data down its USB cable to the local computer. The problem is that there's no USB ports on this computer, only PS/2.

Ideally a little box that you can plug in a USB connector, and which will then split the mouse and keyboard data out to seperate PS/2 connectors would be ideal as the local computer is an embedded system to which you cannot add a USB card. I doubt that any passive connectors would do the trick here.

Considering it connects dumb PS/2 connectors to a smart USB connector, I doubt the entire shebang is a dumb connector... there's probably a USB hub chip inside the USB side of things. While I can't guarantee it would work, I would think $50 for this and a few M/F gender benders may get you what you need, two PS/2 devices into one USB cable. since the USB is bidirectional by nature, maybe it would work the "undesigned" way, as well.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back