Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Use and application of ANSI/ANS 51.1 and 58.14

Status
Not open for further replies.

pxp

Nuclear
Apr 4, 2005
SI
I have a question regarding use and application of ANSI standards. If the components, systems of structures are classified in accordance with ANSI/ANS 18.2 1973 »Nuclear Safety Criteria For The Design Of Stationary PWRs«, and this standard is referenced in USAR, are you allowed to use ANSI/ANS 58.14 »Safety and Pressure Integrity Classification Criteria for Light Water Reactors«. Are you allowed to declassify some parts of systems for minor modifications? ANSI/ANS 58.14 is currently not referenced in USAR. My second question is, what is the correlation between ANSI/ANS 18.2 and ANSI/ANS 51.1 »Nuclear Safety Criteria for the Design of Stationary Pressurized Water Reactor Plants«? In foreword of ANSI/ANS 51.1 is stated that is complete revision of ANSI/ANS 18.2. In this case are you allowed to apply this standard instead of ANSI/ANS 18.2, which is referenced in USAR.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In regards to your 51.1 question, in my experiences, we could not justify the use of an alternate standard, even if superseding an original, without a licensing amendment. Doing so would be the equivalent to committing to an earlier code year/addenda in your USAR, and then trying to invoke a later code year in design/operation. Your experience may differ.

If the plant is licensed in accordance with ANSI/ANS 18.2, and ANSI/ANS 51.1 is complete revision of 18.2, it is not allowed to use it without a licensing amendment. Therefor application of ANSI/ANS 58.14 standard which has no direct link to ANSI/ANS 18.2 is not permitted. Is my thinking OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back