Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

use of ASTM A511 hot/cold rolled tube and hollow bar in ASME BPV code applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

smitch

Mechanical
Oct 11, 2018
CA
Good morning everyone,

We are an Sec VIII Div I certified PV shop looking to quote/build a small (10L) PV for a cryogenic CO2 application. We are investigating the use of seamless tube/hollow round bar (ASTM A511) for this purpose, but there is no corresponding ASME SA specification, which is a bit of a red flag.

Does anyone know of a code case that references the use of this material? Looking through the code case summaries is like picking out a needle in the proverbial haystack, and I have yet to find my needle.

Of note, it may end up falling under Div 2 (currently discussing pressure limits with the potential customer), which is a separate question we are also looking into.

Thanks!
smitch

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have not seen this material used in PV fabrication for Code Case or otherwise. Why would you even consider this specification with all other material specification choices available?

We're trying to make sure we consider all available options. Not sold to any one particular material at this point.

Later day update: OK, I've read a bit more into this (ie. UG-14 and code case 2156-1) and we are looking to use SA-213 as available. Thanks metengr for the reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back