Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Use of AWS B2.1 Standard Weld Procedures

Status
Not open for further replies.

LKC

Mechanical
Feb 2, 2004
US
We recently purchased B2.1-1-019-94 Standard Welding Procedure for CO2 shielded FCAW carbon steel. Our customer contact has told me that I can not use these standard weld procedures to weld to AWS D1.1 because the approval cycle would be a nightmare...he is defining the "engineering approval" as his customer's customer the owner of the product.
Why would the approval for standard procedures be different then the approval of our own procedures and does anyone have a different opinion of this interpretation?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi again LKC:
I'm not sure what your customer is referring to as far as a delay in the approval process for a prequalified WPS.

AWS D1.1:2004 (and previous editions) permit the use of these WPS's in subsection 4.1.1.2: "AWS B2.1.XXX-XX Series on Standard Welding Procedure Specifications may, in this manner, be accepted for use in this code."

And, thank you again CWIC!

I did point to that section (4.1.1.2) in AWS, our customer's point of contention is the use of "The Engineer" in this paragraph and the definition of "Engineer" in section 1.3 is "...duly designated individual who acts for, and in behalf of, the Owner on all matters within the scope of the code."

I see that it is underlined in my code book...is this a new definition? The reviewer, I believe, is suggesting that he is not "The Engineer", but merely a supplier/subcontract and we are his supplier/subcontract.

Am I missing something on these standard procedures why wouldn't they meet the requirements of AWS D1.1? I was assuming we could just start using them. This standard WPS covers 75% of all the welds we do here and it provides me with a confidence backed by all the technical staff at AWS that it is qualified for use...much more confidence than I have in the stack of all the old weld procedures I have inherited.

LKC,

Show your client Section 3 D1.1 which deals with prequalification. As long as your parameters fall into the confines of this section you do not even need one of the B2.1xxx....standards, but you are however required to document your parameters for making the weld.

You will find that more than likely you can comply with Section 3 and only need to complete a WPS.

Sometimes you find people in the field who have never pick-ed up a code book but "know they did'nt do it like that when they welded..."

If you still have any questions as to the validity of your procedures, consult your local AWS section, or locate a CWI who is knowledgeable in the D1.1 code.

The APIGUY....

Sorry I did not read the next post first. Weld a coupon and test it. If it passes, you've proved what you're doing works....

The APIGUY....

LKC,
The AWS procedures may not be appropriate for use on your project if the basic design Code requires impact testing of the welding procedure. This would be the case for API-650 storage tanks in most of the USA. Ditto for the AWWA D100 water tank standard when designing to the alternative design basis.

Steve Braune
Tank Industry Consultants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back