Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Use of conical points for pipe piles in sandy material

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTeng

Civil/Environmental
Sep 17, 2002
US
I am looking for technical information regarding the use of conical points for pipe piles as opposed to using a steel closure plate. I have always assumed they increase the ability of the pile to penetrate the soil (or decrease the toe capacity) so that the pile can be driven to a target depth. However, some believe that the soil beneath a pipe pile with a closure plate will form a cone of relatively incompressible material, so that there is no difference in the penetration resistance. Do any of you have any case history information comparing the two or know of published information related to this issue?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is some debate over the merits of conical pionts over plates from a bearing standpoint, however, I believe civilperson is correct , that most of the literature shows no difference.
Some of the advantages of points are that they are less likely to split or break in hard driving. Also if the hard driving is due to cobbles, the points may be able to work through the cobbles a little better. If you are driving through a relative soft soil to a hard non rock bottom, It may grab the bottom a little and keep the pile from walking during the final drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back