Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Use of HAN and EGMBE for pressure test - additional hazards to consider

Status
Not open for further replies.

kat6787

Marine/Ocean
Sep 8, 2006
US
Morning everyone,

I've got a question about using certain chemicals for high pressure leak testing of umbilical tubes. We have been asked to use both HAN and EGMBE (as well as a 50/50 combination of the 2) for a pressure test. After reviewing the MSDS for the chemicals, they both state that they are stable under normal temperature and pressure, but don't specifically state any hazards if exposed to pressure. I'm not a huge fan of using either given the hazards to personnel since these are both pretty nasty, but with proper PPE and mitigations in place, we can reduce exposure and ensure personnel safety should we have a leak or hose rupture. But I'm not sure about how these chemicals will react under high pressure.

Test Info:
Test Pressure = 16,500 psig
Hold period = 4 hours
Item Tested = 1/2" and 3/4" umbilical tubes (super duplex stainless steel)
Test location = various locations in the Gulf of Mexico

I've used HAN before as a buffer fluid during flushing operations, but we were always flowing and kept the pressure to a minimum. I've never worked with EGMBE before.

Does anybody have any experience using either of these chemicals during pressure testing? Are there any additional hazards that need to be considered at higher pressures?

Cheers,
Kat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back