Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Use of polymers to improve soil subgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeyBear

Geotechnical
Jul 1, 2004
US
We are looking at an "ionic polymerisation" additive to stabilise and "waterproof" soil subgrade materials. The distributor claims the polymer links together and forms a bond which increases the density of the material, while reducing the porosity of the soil matrix making it resistant to water etc etc. Has anyone used polymers in soil stabilisation for pavements. The distributor also suggests the addition of cement (2-5%) with the polymer as an additive. Recommended polymer amount is 1.67 litres per square metre per 150mm depth.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Snake oil!
It will work great if you add 2-5% cement....but then, you could add 2-5% cement without the polymer and achieve the same result.

Usually not worth the cost...other methods available to achieve same or better results.

A local vendor for such a product convinced the FHWA to spec their product as a dust palliative and to protect a prepared subgrade for a major highway project. The subgrade was fine volcanic ash. The rest of the pavement structure was to be constructed on a future phase of the project so the completed subgrade had to remain in place for an extended period before asphalt base and surface courses. The material was very pricey vs. the alternatives, and the alternatives probably would have also worked, but the product performed as advertised and did an excellent job of both controlling dust and protecting the subgrade, even when later subjected to heavy construction traffic. No cement was used, and the product was not mixed into the subgrade material. It was diluted in the water wagon and simply sprayed over the surface. Penetration was excellent. The product itself looks like, smells like, and to casual observation seems to act like Elmer's Glue. I would judge its performance as excellent, but question whether its expense would be justified over less costly alternatives in many applications - same as Ron said with his far fewer words!

Thanks for the responses.
I feel "snake oil" is appropriate, but I should have asked if anyone knows of testing such as CBR, Atterberg Limits or UCS over a period of time which indicates the improvement, or lack thereof, when using polymers with and without traditional additives such as lime or cement.

No, I haven't seen any such testing such as you have mentioned. However, I have never seen it used or marketed for those benefits either, though somewhere else it might mb. Rather, it is used on materials that already have those properties in desirable or sufficient measure, and the product simply protects the material from erosion due to wind, rain, and traffic so as to preserve those qualities when compared to unprotected material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back