Use of S275JR for pressure vessel Skirt

Status
Not open for further replies.

ting123

Mechanical
Nov 10, 2010
SA
Dear Members,

we want to use S275JR in replacement of SA-283 C for structural parts of pressure vessel like skirt, base plate etc. But since this material is not listed in ASME SEC II PART-D, we are unable to use this material.
I would like to know if S275JR material listed in ASME code or does code suggest any alternate material for this grade. I need some written proof to get the acceptance of this material.

I would like to thank all the members in advance for any valuable input on this.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"ASME SEC II PART-D, we are unable to use this material" sorry - not correct.

As 21122956 said, look the steel up. For structural uses like skirts and platform beams, material only has to be compatable with the pressure boundary [ASME] material. And of course, strong and tough enough for the purpose that it will perform.

Example: A-36 is acceptable for most skirts, but not one that has a MDMT of -40°F.

Duwe6 has it right. To be a bit more specific, take a look at UG-4(b):

Material for nonpressure parts, such as skirts, supports,
baffles, lugs, clips, and extended heat transfer surfaces,
need not conform to the specifications for the
material to which they are attached or to a material specification
permitted in this Division, but if attached to the
vessel by welding shall be of weldable quality
[see
UW-5(b)]. The allowable stress values for material not
identified in accordance with UG-93 shall not exceed
80% of the maximum allowable stress value permitted
for similar material in Subsection C.

jt

Having said the above... I'll point out that my company spec requires skirts to be SA- material. But if all you have is "build a Section VIII Div. 1 vessel" and no further spec's, then you aren't limited.

jt

Guys,
I agree with both jte and Duwe6 regarding the acceptibility of the material but how does one go about welding it unless the ASME IX WPS has been qualified with S275JR ? (as it is an unassigned material).
Not too familiar with ASME VIII but presume you would need qualified WPS for attachments to pressure retaining material ?
Cheers,
DD

". . . you would need qualified WPS for attachments to pressure retaining material ?" That's why Sect IX allows materials to be grouped - P-groups. A-36 is a P-1, so any P-1 WPS is valid for it. If you cannot get a P-group, try AWS. Their M-groups parallel the P's. Thus an M-1 steel can be welded with a P-1 procedure, in my opinion.

Duwe6,
Where did A 36 come in to the discussion ?
SA 283 is a P1 - S275JR is not.
The only way you can use S275JR in construction is to qualify a WPS with that material.
And sorry, but no, you cannot weld an AWS M # steel with an ASME IX P1 procedure.
Regards,
DD

Ting123:
I don’t have the codes or matr’l. stds. you refer to in front of me, and I don’t practice in this area every day. But, if the matr’ls. are compatible from the welding standpoint, and if the skirt matr’l. can handle the stresses imposed, corrosion and any temperature variations, what’s the issue? We have gotten to the point that we can’t blow our noses any longer without a code paragraph which approves this. What has happened to good sound engineering judgement and experience in guiding our designs? More and more, the codes are being written so that any dummy who wouldn’t even consider weld compatibility can do the design. This isn’t even engineering any longer, it’s just pretentious cookbook reading; just add a pinch of salt, no need to know why the salt is needed, or how much a pinch really is.

My fast research shows that S275JR / 1.0044 is equivalent to SA-283 Gr. D. Since 283-D is a P-1, Group-1 steel, 60 or 70ksi filler metal is appropriate for S275JR, no 'special' preheat or post-heat required. Handle it just like the SA-283 Gr. D in the vessel proper. It will be up to your Authorized Inspector to decide whether to require a special WPS/PQR to be qualifed, but I would argue that this steel being used for 'structural' only, and the same filler & preheat will be used on both materials, the same WPS is appropriate.

Duwe6,
I agree with you totally regarding "structural" applications.
I may have gotten confused, in my limited past experience the skirts have always been welded to the vessel base and that was what I was trying to get across - any attachment to the pressure component requires an ASME IX WPS and S275JR is an "unassigned" material so it would require a new PQR/WPS.
Regards,
DD

This material can be used for structural applications for pressure vessels under Section VIII, Div 1 provided you qualify a WPS for welding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back