Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Used Lab equipment 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hercules28

Materials
Nov 9, 2010
US
We want to start a small metallurgical lab in my company.
I am interested in used/refurbished equipment.
cut-off saw
grinding polishing
stereo microscope
microscope with software
cabinets etc.
sample mounting equipment

Any idea ? any trusted sources from previous experiences?

I am also looking into a used SEM and X-ray machine.

Thanks
Herc

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You may also want to contact David Pye at Pye metallurgicals.

Good idea, I want to do the same in S. Ontario. Any sources for equipment here? I've found ebay to be overpriced, poorly organized and just about useless, is craigslist any good?

I think it would be worth checking with some vendors like Buehler. They may have reconditioned equipment; and a vested interest as getting you as a customer for supplies.

For small stuff, cheap

American Science and Surplus - cheap glassware and all sorts of oddments. Fun to look at.

Also commercial grade restaurant equipment seems to be a lot less expensive than lab equipment. Lots of arguments the other way, of course.

This is from a guy who's first lab was three sheets of plywood. I turned off the furnace and unhooked the exhaust to connect a vent hood when I wanted to run experiments.

Long time ago.

Thomas J. Walz
Carbide Processors, Inc.

Good engineering starts with a Grainger Catalog.

Just remember you don't need all the fancy equipment to start with.
The best metallurgical microscope you can afford and any of the stereo microscope offered by many suppliers. Some of the relatively inexpensive stereo microscopes have picture taking ability.

Any type of mounting press even the older ones where you have to swap the heating and cooling jackets. There are some mounting media that doesn't require a press to get you started.
A four roll wet paper for roughening in. A two or three wheel polishing table. If you have it you can work with a surface grinder or lapping machine to get the sample close to the polishing stage.
One thing that helps a lot is a wet metal abrasive cut off machine for getting the sample to size. Depend on what you examining look for a diamond cutoff saw. If and when you get one,just remember to to keep the media clean.

Start out simple and work into something big.

When I was Co-Op and for the first four years working in synthetic fiber plant we used Air Force surplus metallographs that used glass plates, converted to Graphics's back, and finally to Polaroid back while still using a carbon arc light. The mounting press was built in house. As mentioned above we used a dry power hacksaw and surface grinder, hand operated carriage, and then to the 4 roll wet paper. The three wheel polishing machine was purchased. It was constant speed and to change speed you went to the next wheel. When I retired the metallograph was Ziess with all the bells and whistles, the stereo microscope was also a Ziess. They were two automatic grinding and polishing machines. There were two diamond cutoff saws and a 14 inch awet abrasive sut off saw. 6 vibratory polishers. We had access to 3 electron microscopes, A Joel, a Cambridge, and one I don't recall the make. The Cambridge was nice as it would take a much larger sample than either of the other two.

LabX and eBay...I've bought some metallurgical equipment off eBay (polishing equipment).

Google what you want and you'll get lots of hits.

I agree with your approach unclesyd,

A cheap belt sander and a manual 4-strip grinder can go a long way in sample prep. [Be careful though, the last one I used had a plastic slab underneath that was far too flexible to maintain sample flatness. Probably one of the later models.]
I'm sure there are lots of old Buehler manual presses sitting around unused in production labs who now use automatic machines.

My midrange Canon SX120 digital with 10x optical zoom and image stabilization is not too far off the image quality of a stereoscope. I'm certain a DSLR with a capable macro lens, mounted on some kind of bracket, could replace the stereo for a lot of routine photography.

I have heard of companies that will retrofit a metallograph for digital photography, but again, beware, it is not as simple as bolting a digital gizmo onto the eyepiece tube. With a decent, in-focus image and MS PhotoEditor you probably won't need the expensive imaging software that makes big profits for the microscope vendors.
[If anyone knows of such a retrofitter, I would appreciate getting the link.]

Might look at the Proscope, hand held digital microscope. Mine comes in handy quite often. Especially the 30x lens with option for standard or polarized light. Nice for field work when used with a lap top.

Thomas J. Walz
Carbide Processors, Inc.

Good engineering starts with a Grainger Catalog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back