Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User Defined Features or External Referencing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sundog

Mechanical
Apr 6, 2001
CA
I am building assemblies with numerous extrusions in them. The extrusions have different milling details that are programmed off and on depending on the usage. The milling details are constantly being updated. I want them centrally located where I can updated them as needed so the changes can be passed up to the assemblies. I've been looking into UDF's and they don't seem to work this way (you can't update or change dimensions). I've heard of external references for Pro/E but have found minimal information. Does anyone know how to use these features or have any other suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I worked with UDF's quite a bit in the past back on version 10 and 11. At that time when creating the feature we had several choices with the dimensions. They could be setup as Read/Write, Read only, or you set them so the dimension would not show unless you went back to the starting part for the UDF. I wouldn't think PTC would change that. You might look again when making your UDF at the time you set the dimensions.

Thanks Houtex,

On further investigation I found UDF's quite useful. There are many options and it is turning out to be a very powerful feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back