Using 2 different WPS for one joint 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huisman

Industrial
Jun 17, 2010
NL
HAllo,

I have an X-Joint welding 2G top and welding 4G up.Because we will not turn the plate. This is covered by 2 different welding procedures.One procedure covers the 2G with testing acc to clause 4, the other procedure covers 4G.
Is it allowed to cover one joint by 2 different procedures at one joint, or do i have to make a separate testplate?

If this is covered, wher can i find it at the code?

Many Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you have a valid WPS for side 1? yes
Do you have a valid WPS for side 2? yes

Why would you need any further WPS's? You are trying to 'overthink' the requirements.

A WPS that covered both flat 2G welding and overhead 4G welding is "Nice to have", but since your entire weld is covered by your existing WPS's it is not required.

Huisman,
You may be confusing 2G (horizontal) with 1G (Flat).

Both of the responses above are correct but I will offer a different perspective.
Why would you want to offer your welders 2 different WPS's for the one joint ? After all, that is what WPS's are there for - guidelines for the welders.
As the overhead is the most difficult position some designers will design a 1G / 4G joint with a 75%/25% depth of preparation (especially if distortion is not an issue) to enable the majority of the weld to be done in the most comfortable position.
As Duwe6 stated you do not need additional testing but writing a new WPS reflecting the actual joint may be beneficial,
Regards,
Kiwi

There is no "4G up"

4G is a flat groove, welded in the "Overhead" position, i.e. welding from the underside, over the welder's head.

3G is a vertical weld position and can be welded uphill - 3G up, and downhill - 3G down.

They are both fairly difficult. 3G likes to trap slag and get 'drippy', giving a surface that looks like it has grapes on it. 4G tries to fall into the welder's face, but gravity helps the separate from the molten weld metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back