Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Using accelerometer for FFT of guitar soundboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocky111

Mechanical
Mar 18, 2014
GB
Hi I want to use a miniature single axis accelerometer to record guitar soundboards resonances.
I'm considering buying a used one from ebay (PCB 352A21 10mv/g). But from what I have read they have a rather limited life span, is this the case, Or can they simply be sent off to be re-calibrated?
Also if I buy accelerometer, signal conditioner and connecting leads, could I simply just plug it in to my soundcard and start recording, or do I need anything else such as calibration equipment ect.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've used 10 year old accels quite happily. we get ours calibrated once a year. I think for investigative use rather than legal orhomologation that having a calibrator is a bit unneccessary. We used to calibrate every mic channel every day but it isn't really necessary.

That is avery insensitive accelerometer you'd be much better off with a larger one. although that will affect your results due to mass. ideally you'd use a non contacting method such as capacitve or laser. or even a close coupled mic.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

Yes that is the problem too much mass would effect the resonance, clearly accelerometers just aren't the way to go so I guess I'l stick with my condenser mic.
cheers
Alf

How much are you willing to spend? Something like this can do 2kHz measurements, which should be able to detect resonances up to 500Hz:

There may be other choices that would be cheaper.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back