Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Blocks in Drawings for Common Notes 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerGirl

Mechanical
Jun 8, 2012
US
I am trying to create blocks to use for notes that we frequently use in our drawings. I figured out how to create, save, and insert a block, but having troubles inserting where I want on the drawing. Is it possible to insert a note into an existing textbox with a numbered list using the block feature? Or is this feature only beneficial for annotations and dimensions regarding the drawing views?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Edit the Block to set the Insertion Point.

Explode the block after inserting into the drawing and other notes will then be able to be merged with it. If numbering is used, the sequence will be continued.

I seem to be having trouble with the insertion point?

But it works to explode and merge annotations. That may be my best option. I will check out the macro and let you know how it works out.

Thanks!

As Anna said it is far more convenient to use annotations in the design library. The one thing that might make a difference though is that the design library only allows one issuance per sheet, you need to copy the existing library feature to a new location. This might be a pain if you've subsequently edited an existing note. With blocks you could populate the note multiple times. This is why you should create blocks for often used symbols etc.

I checked out the design library. It will almost work for what I was looking for, but I cannot add the annotation from the design library into an existing annotation so that it is continued in my existing numbered list. I would have to input what I want and then have to go back and merge the annotations, again an extra step that I was trying to avoid, but one less than the first solution.

I checked out the macro mentioned by CorBlimeyLimey above and it is the next best thing. A couple downfalls, (one) the numbers are just typed in and they are not in the list format, the list format can be created in the annotation after the fact but again this is an extra step. I am currently researching more on macros to see if there is a way to generate the numbered list in the first place. (second) If I wanted to insert another common note after I ran the macro, then it would have to be manually typed, not usually an issue but just a thought I had since I am new and might forget a note and need to add something after having my drawings checked by my supervisor.

Again though, the design library would be perfect if I could insert the note into the existing annotation.

RangerGirl,

Could you store your notes as a text file, and load them into Notepad?

At drawing time, you create your note on the view where you require it, or on the drawing sheet. You control the size of the note and the formatting.

You copy and paste the text from Notepad.

SolidWorks has a nice text editor. I would hate to see it crippled.

--
JHG

You could put all the notes in a numbered list on a drawing and save it as your drawing format, then just delete the ones you don't need for that drawing.

-Kirby

Kirby Wilkerson

Remember, first define the problem, then solve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back