Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Composites / Epoxy

Status
Not open for further replies.

aalfabob

Computer
Jul 30, 2004
US
Ive been searching the internet for information on working with composites (S-Glass, Carbon Fiber, and Epoxy) for a while now and cant find much information on using them.

Some things I have questions about:
How to do mulitple layers of the composites
What kind of resin I need for the projects (expoxy for room conditions?)
What do I use as a finish (epoxy?)
Steps in making and finishing parts

Im using Urethane Rubber for the mold, will this work well for the materials im using?

Any help or links will be very helpful, Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

aalfabob,

If you intend to do composites, I recommend you read Andrew C. Marshall's "Composite Basics Six" sixth edition. This book will answer many of your questions...

Materials compatibility has to be researched, there is no way around that! The manufacturers of the materials you will use should be able to suggest epoxies that will work with your materials. You should also validate with the epoxy manufacturer as well.

From my experience using urethane rubber for a mold, you really always need a mold release which almost always messes up your surface finish. I switched to RTV silicone rubber 2 part mix and have never looked back. No mold release is needed
for RTV silicone, and as long as you are careful when pulling out a fresh part.... the mold will last a long time for you.
I use the RTV as my female part, and use fast set concrete to recreate the original part (male part). These are just mirror covers that we produce for Nissans, but it is a simple and effective method.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back