Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using condensation as a separation mechanism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobD7

Chemical
Jun 18, 2012
US
A vapor process stream that I am working on is primarily acetone, with small concentrations (< 5 %wt) of Hexamethyldisilazane (HMDS) and ammonia. Acetone condenses around 57 C and HMDS condenses at 126 C. Is it possible that placing two condensers in series, one to condense HMDS then the second to condense Acetone, would yield pure acetone? I want some professional advice on this before attempting to design the condensers. I can not find a VLE diagram for the mixture, as HMDS is rarely found in industry.

Thanks,
Rob D

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Condensation temperature is a statistical mean number and there is some variation on either side of it (not 69C, but not zero either). I think that you could get pretty close if you calculated your retention times and heat input right, but any time you are dealing with phase change the latent heats really muddy the water.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

"Belief" is the acceptance of an hypotheses in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.

Pure? 100.000000 . . . % acetone. No.

Close enough to be pure? 99% acetone. Maybe.

Do some ideal, constant relative volatilitty flash/condensation calculations and see.

Good luck,
Latexman

You are simply proposing two stage partial condensation. So functionally the same as two stages of any VLE separation (such as two trays in a tower). You could get fairly high purity on one stream probably the acetone as you state. You would want the exit gas of your first condenser to maintain much closer to the condensation temp of the acetone say roughly 60 C. Your HMDS stream will be high in acetone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back