Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Using Configurations (or Global variables) to control Assembly & Child Part configurations 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pirateincognito

Automotive
Mar 4, 2015
US
How do I accomplish this in SolidWorks Professional 2020 SP5.0 ?

I'm trying to create an assembly that can be configured in different lengths and the child part updates to the new length. Assembly hardware is updated via mates.

Specifically I'm working with aluminum extrusion from frame-world.com and I need extrusions at different lengths, when I enter a new length, the child part needs to match the length and the mated hardware needs to move accordingly.

I see SolidWorks has lots of features in this area
[ul]
[li]global variables[/li]
[li]design tables[/li]
[li]Linking Equations to External Files[/li]
[/ul]

All the research I've done hasn't been able to explain how to link the configurations, only the Assemblies can toggled components on/off.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Create the mates in the way that they are dependent on the length.

Other option would be to mate them at certain distance from the end so that they move along with the length.

If you can share an example of the files showing what your current set up is, would help us to guide you better.

Deepak Gupta
SOLIDWORKS Champion and Expert
SW 2022 SP0.0, 2021 SP5.1 and 2020 SP5.0
Boxer's SOLIDWORKS Blog

I would use Assembly Planes and I would in-context the part by editing the part at the assembly and editing the extrusion (Boss extrude) and changing it to "up to surface" and picking the plane. Then when you move the plane the part updates, However, depending on your needs to control the Geometry of the extrusion part(s) you are probably using just one part multiple times. If that is the case then my method may not work as well, unless you made a new config of the part, for each change in length.

The other option would be to build your extrusion assy as a part weldment with multiple bodies instead of as an assembly. Then you can control the dimensions within a Design table, however, it is a part and it will not have fasteners in it. You could add it to an assembly. You cannot control a part dimension from an assembly Design table, so you would have to change it at the part level, double click the file in the assembly, and manually change the Dim(s).

Hope that makes some sense. If you need an example let me know.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
CAD Systems Manager
Dapco, INC

"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

You can do extrusions as weldments too, and make the driving sketch parametric, then your parts could show up on a cut list. You can find or make weldment profiles of say 80/20 extrusions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back