Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using countours as a dwg in GIS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

clems05

Civil/Environmental
Jul 28, 2004
US
Hello,

I currently am working with a project where a dam failed and am interested in material (sediment, trees) displaced by the failure. Assuming I can do this, I currently have in my possession...

Elevation data from 1998 (pre-breach) as a DEM
Elevation data from last month (post-breach) as a DWG
Aerial from 98 & post-breach

The problem is that I do not know how to get the DWG into something I can work with in ArcGIS 8.X. I have tried converting in Arctoolbox, to no avail. I am using LT 2005, but I am unable to export to anything but a DXF or wmf, obviously. I have access to LDD, wold that help?

Anyhow, I am thinking I can create a 3D surface for visual impact and maybe another in LDD to get a volume. Any suggestions?

Thanks

R Hardison

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Assuming datums match etc. you could import the data and create two surface models in LDD, and then use them for cut and fill calculations. You could also create contours for each set and add cut tick marks for a quick change detection.

I believe you can export the surfaces and/ or contour data using Autodesk Map (built in to LDD). Under the Map menu choose Tools>Export... Then pick the file type Ie. ESRI ArcInfo Export or ESRI Shape. (I have LDD 2004.)

You could also import the aerial photography into LDD to help set your surface model boundaries (Ie distrubed areas). I am not familar with ArcGIS8.x, but you can probably run some type of change detection with the aerials/ DEMS using an ESRI product.
Hope this is helpful.

Dustin
Santa Rosa, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back