Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Driven Dimensions For Equal Spacing 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

astumpf

Mechanical
Jul 14, 2016
US
Hey All,

I have been a Solidworks user for about 2 years now, having come from a background of Inventor and Pro/E. One of the great things I miss about Inventor is that you can use driven dimensions to space a feature equidistant from the features you are using. Solidworks seems to have trouble calculating this. Anyone have any tips for me on this, or is this a feature Solidworks is missing?

Thank you!
Aaron

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=b7c34c07-a10c-4052-849a-38497f2e020f&file=Capture.JPG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not sure which dimensions you want to be equal; the .096 and the .154? If so then the .750 needs to be driven, not driving. I can't tell without seeing your equations what is actually driving your dimensions.

I'm not sure if "link values" does what you want; in the picture here the .150 dimensions are always equal but the slot length varies to compensate. However, I would probably use equal length construction lines (per DraftingMan's suggestion) in this instance unless it was important to be able to change the dimension by editing either one.

Capture_p90lw7.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back