Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using equations at the assembly level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zatarra86

Industrial
Mar 17, 2014
AU
Hi,

I'm new to the forum, and relatively new to Solidworks. I understand how to use equations in theory, but I'm having trouble in practice.

I want to create a part with an equation driven length, and insert it into more than one assembly. I guess I'm trying to create a custom ToolBox part. But even though I apply an equation at the assembly level, the value it produces gets 'locked' into the part. I then can't change its length in other assemblies. Please advise.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Read up on configurations. You need to create various configurations of the part - at the part level. Equations can be used to drive that process. Each length of the part will be tied to a single configuration, all in the same part file. Then at the assembly level you create several configurations of the assembly. You can tie each assembly configuration to a specific part configuration using component properties.

Zatarra86,

There are two things you can do here.
[ol]
[li]You can have a part with multiple, intelligently named configurations, each with its own length. Definitely, you can select the configuration using the design table. Read up on the equation editor.[/li]
[li]You can have a part whose length is driven by one assembly, only. All other assemblies will have to live with the result. This makes more sense than you perhaps realize. Driving the part from your equation editor or design table definitely is doable, although probably a little tricky.[/li]
[/ol]

--
JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back