Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Using if/concatenate in fields/formulas (on a table)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuanBC

Electrical
Nov 28, 2017
AR
Hello,

Does anyone know if it is possible to use something like "concatenate" or "if" in autocad's fields/formulas (on tables) as one can normally do with Excel?

i.e. =IF(A2>1,CONCATENATE(A2,A3),"")

Many thanks!

JBC
"The more I read, the more I acquire, the more certain I am that I know nothing"

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know if it's possible or not to do that just with AutoCAD, but there is an alternative: write the whole table in Excel and insert the table into AutoCAD.

STF

Hi Spar,

Thank you for you answer. I already thought doing that but I want my drawing to stay "alive", so anyone can open it and change something, without having to modify an excel file

Thanks,

JBC
"The more I read, the more I acquire, the more certain I am that I know nothing"

You can right click the cell, pick "Insert Field", select "Diesel Exression" or "Formula" or "Variable" but you are very limited in what you can do with it. I don't think you can get what you want directly as if it were an Excel cell. Diesel is pretty limited and does not offer the construction you want. Formula as also pretty limited but you can add cells together. You may be able to run a VB or LISP program to set a variable to your desired value and insert it. You may be able to use a VB or LISP to manipulate the values in the table directly. Not much help, sorry...

Hi IFRs,

Yes, that is not what I was willing to do. Many thanks anyway!

JBC

JuanBC,
JuanBC said:
...without having to modify an excel file
Not true. It does not work that way. Try it.
Just going to pin this down, but if it's still not to your liking, that's OK.

You can insert Excel into AutoCAD with no need to keep the original XLS file. There is a microsoft service called Object Link Exchange (OLE) which permits compatible program data to be embedded in other program files. When OLE was introduced in the 1990's it sucked. It is better now, so if you think you tried it in the past with disastrous results, you're not alone. But it's much better now.

In this case, you copy from Excel, paste into AutoCAD and then you can DELETE the original XLS file forever. The piece of spreadsheet you pasted into the drawing will stay there and be editable as long as Excel is installed on the user computer. The editing process opens a TEMP spreadsheet which is ignored once you close it.
If this isn't clear, try it, and see what you think.

STF

Hi Spar, will try! Thanks!

JBC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back