Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

using inches in a metric part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

moog3

Marine/Ocean
Nov 29, 2022
AU
I've been using NX for over 20 yrs, and there's always been a way to specify an input in inch units when working in a metric part.
way back when.... it was done by (IN)2.5 for 2 1/2 inches, then later it changed to (INCH)2.5 but now NX2007 neither of those work, but I did get it to work with 2.5inch
My question is.... how do I specify fractional inch inputs? I'm sure in the past i could say (INCH)5/8 and it'd know I meant 0.625
I tried a few ways but couldn't get it to work.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For the input, "inch(5/8)" should work.

If you are dealing with numerical inputs (not formulas), you can add the [in] units after the value to convert the units. If you want to enter all of the values as inch, you can go to the units manager and specify "English" as the preferred data entry units. All of the length inputs for a feature will show as inch in the dialogs; remember to switch back to metric when you are done with the inch inputs. And you can always create an "inch" expression and refer to it when creating a feature to use an inch value in specific situations.

www.nxjournaling.com

Somewhere along the way they switched the unit to after the number. from (in)0.5 to just 0.5in and you'll get 12.7mm in field

I work in metric 99% of the time, but do my stock in inches.
So if I have a 6" stock block type 6in in my field and it automagicly makes it a formula in sketcher or just does the math in other functions.

@Cowski Great tip on fractions 20+ yr user here too and I never knew that one... "For the input, "inch(5/8)" should work"

Thanks for all the replies...
I checked them all out...
2in 0.5in 0.5inch all work...

but, the one that works with all types of input is,

inch(1+5/8) inch(5/8) inch(0.625) inch(2)

You can use the units manager to specify your desired input units, but I'm not sure you can change it if you already have a dialog or sketch open; you might need to close them first and restart the command.

www.nxjournaling.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back