Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Letter for Dimension Callout

Status
Not open for further replies.

ntanner

Industrial
Apr 3, 2014
US
Hello,
Anyone know if in Drafting I can replace the numberical dimension with a letter. I use one drawing to represent many parts and need to show the dimension as a variable with a table lookup. This does not apply to all dimensions on the drawing so I don't want to use the "show dimensions as variables" property because that switchs all my dimensions over. I also need this to work for both primary and secondary units.

UG can handle this easily, I jsut can't seem to find the functionality in Solid Edge.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1) With the dimension selected, there is an selection to apply a tolerance. In that same pop-down box is a grey "X" icon. Select that and the dimension will disappear.
2) With the dimension value not showing, apply a prefix (or suffix) of the letter you want.
3) Profit.

--Scott
www.wertel.pro

And if you were using Family of Parts, when modeling, you can do this:
1. create your drawing with all the dimensions
2. click on the Family Of Parts Table and place the table on the drawing
3. use the Link Variable icon (in Family Of Parts Table command) and connect the variable from the table with appropriate dimension on the drawing. When doing this, the dimension value gets replaced with the variable name from the table automatically.

Hope that this helps, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back