Using libraries in Fortran

Status
Not open for further replies.

asamarzija

Computer
Feb 23, 2015
HR
Hello everyone.

I'm wondering, how to use libraries in programming. For example, I need to make program that finds minimum and maximum of a function of two variables... As I understood, I can use routines i find online, but need to have something saved on PC? Some module file?

One more question, as I started first with finding ways to find a derivative of a funtion, I'm wondering how can I enter my f(x) into program? For example the program starts, it asks me to type in the f(x)=x^2+2xy+y^3 ...I don't understand how is that interpreted by program, does it parse the f(x) somehow; turns it in some array? How it reads this expression and turn it to arguments needed for derivation?

Please if someone can answer my questions...I have problems with concept understanding, cause I'm new in this and need to explore some things for project I'm doing on the university...

Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Student posting is not allowed

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
There is a homework forum hosted by engineering.com:

In general, your FORTRAN compiler will have math libraries available for an extra cost that do many math functions. If you are learning FORTRAN at school, I would guess they want to get you to understand the language and how to construct a program that solves a given problem like the derivative you gave. Look up Newton–Raphson method and see if that is what you are trying to do. It is a numerical method that can be programmed to guess at a solution and refine the guess until you converge on a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back