Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using material physical properties in equations 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krons

Mechanical
Nov 25, 2008
CA
I am trying to find a way to reference the yield and tensile strength of the material in equations. In the "api help", I can only find material visual properties and cannot find physical properties.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Density is the only physical property that can be obtained directly from the model. To obtain the yield strength and tensile strength you would have to get the name of the material and then get the physical properties out of the XML .sldmat file. See the API helpl for PartDoc::GetMaterialPropertyName2. I would seriously doubt that this is possible in an equation. Are you talking about a SolidWorks equation, or using a VBA macro or external .exe program to perform calculations based on physical properties?

-handleman, CSWP (The new, easy test)

Unfortunately, it is for a SolidWorks equation. We generally use equations to create global variables that we then use in the custom properties of a part or an assembly. Then we link to these custom properties in the drawing with annotations.

For the physical properties, the need was to clearly indicate on the drawing the tensile and yield strength of the material in psi and MPa, thus eliminating the need to insert a block which contains this information for the appropriate material.

The other possibility is to reference a block in the drawing simply by choosing the material in the part. Would this be possible??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back